Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Win an ioSafe Solo 500GB Rugged USB External Hard Drive
Got any ideas for a new torture test?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prozium
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 01:09:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I want to see it get hit by salt water at high speeds (like in a hurricane) and sit there in the salt water for a week.....because that IS a real possibility of something that could happen to this drive.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:33:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

almost forgot about this test.

Some ideas: attach it to a boat and drag it across a lake for like an hour. Or drop it in a lake for 3 days (the day that it was claimed on the site) and then retrive it to see if the data is still good.

Put it in a frozen ice for a week and see if it still functional after a week.
tanka12345
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:01:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Everyone (and ioSafe!), Wave

My idea is to have a metal pool measuring 1m (around 3-4 feet) in diameter which is also 1 foot to 10 feet deep (at the choice of ioSafe). This pool would contain fresh or salt water (again at ioSafe's choice).

Floating on the water would be a "raft" (approximately 1 foot square) made out of long burning/lasting wood. The ioSafe Solo would be positioned on this raft and be floating above the water like a castaway at sea. The ioSafe solo would also be affixed to the raft with string to ensure it doesn't fall off before it is supposed to, and the raft would be attached to the bottom of the pool to ensure it doesn't float too close to the edge and pose a safety hazard.

The first step would be to use a combustible material and fuel to light the raft on fire. The fire would continue until the wood is burnt into pieces (hence the long lasting wood to prolong the fire). Once the raft is disintegrated, the ioSafe Solo would fall into the pool of water. After being in the pool of water for a while it can be fished out and be tested to see if the HDD is readable.

I would think that the fire would last for under 30 minutes, simulating the time before the fire service arrives. The ioSafe Solo could be submerged under water for any amount of time (less than 3 days) simulating a wet environment before it is recovered/salvaged.

This stunt/test would ideally be done on the CES showfloor (with an extractor to take away the smoke from the fire), however it could also be done outside as it's unlikely it would be allowed in CES.

To my knowledge CES is a 3 day event. This means that the raft could be lit on the first day and the ioSafe Solo could be left in the "sea" (pool) for the rest of the first day and the whole second day (this allows lots of people to see it in action before the final "climax/reveal" on the third day). It could then be salvaged and tested to see if the HDD is undamaged on the third day.

The raft could also be substituted for an elaborate wooden model ship or boat and the pool could be larger.

Feel free to make any changes if you decide to use my submission.

I hope you (ioSafe) like my idea! Smile

Thanks,
Tanka12345

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 | Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL/ OCZ Behemoth | OCZ Alchemy Elixir | ioSafe Solo 500GB
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:55:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That sounds like a Viking Funeral to me Smile
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:33:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

We'll be announcing a winner soon... probably before the 10/05 date listed at the start of the contest! Thanks to all who entered!!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:33:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

And the winner is tanka12345 and his Viking Funeral!

I'll send you a PM in order to collect your shipping information!

Thanks again to everyone who entered, and to ioSafe for running this contest!

Cool
x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:36:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

congrats Tanka!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

tanka12345
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:45:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks everyone, and of course ioSafe for the opportunity! Smile

I'll be sure to put my most valued data on the ioSafe....now how to decide? Confused

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 | Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL/ OCZ Behemoth | OCZ Alchemy Elixir | ioSafe Solo 500GB
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:17:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats!
Blake
Unwillingly Unwitty

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:22:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats on the win!! Banana
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Site Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: