Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Reduce Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 Fan Noise
http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/toxicbios_1
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:44:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What OS do you have cerebus? Maybe that is the system that doesn't match. While I didn't have a problem flashing with 64-Bit Vista, someone that used the flash claimed they had to use 32-Bit XP to get it done.

But - It does sound like your card has problems beyond what the flash was designed for.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

cerebus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:55:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

XP 32 bit, but its all moot now as I've sent the card back for a refund and got myself a Geforce GTX 260.

Thanks for the help and time spent though, it was much appreciated, even if it didn't work. :-)
7Enigma
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:53:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Crazy old thread I know but I would love to have this bios mod and installer. CIV 5 is driving me crazy with how loud it's causing the card to scream, and I can't take it anymore (causing me to use headphones!)

Thanks in advance!

justin
7Enigma
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:05:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks Jason for the bios!

I had a problem with the files you sent me. I don't know if Win7 doesn't like the 2.015 version of Winflash but it wasn't working (it was in my task manager using 50% cpu but no windows showed up). I ended up doing a Google search and getting the one on TechPowerUp which is an older version by number but worked fine (2.0111). That version allowed the program to load properly. I then saved my old bios just in case, and loaded the new one. My big scare came after it said update successful. The screen froze but my mouse cursor and keyboard seemed to still be working. Then the whole computer froze and I had to soft-boot the system. To my relief the computer booted fine and the new bios was successfully installed. I don't know what happened (I had all non-critical programs closed, blocked internet access with zonealarm, and disabled my antivirus). Now on to the good stuff.....

My experience with Civilization 5 mirrors your review of the modded bios. With the old bios the fan was constantly spinning well above 50% and making a TON of noise regardless of what was going on on-screen (just seems to be rendering heavily at all times even with v-sync enabled), so much so that I had to wear headphones to play games. This also occurred in StarCraft 2 btw.

With the new bios I can hear it spin up SLIGHTLY after a minute or two, but the fanspeed even at near 100% gpu load in-game is only at 30% and is near silent. Temps are significantly up from ~55-60C to near 75C but that's still well within reason compared to the reference cards near 90C). This has completely changed gaming for me where I can play at low volumes at night while the kids are asleep but still be able to keep an ear on their room in case they get up. Before it was either dealing with the constant fan sound or not being able to hear my kids if they woke up with a nightmare.

Thanks again!

(and I've kept a copy of the files in case anyone needs it at a later date)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:34:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Glad it worked well for you! I have seen from others that the tool doesn't seem to work well with newer versions of Windows, but in the end the card is flashed properly and running much quieter, anyway!

Thumbs Up
nitrouxidous
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:48:51    Post Subject: Re: Reduce Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 Fan Noise Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello. Could you please send me those files? I´d like to try the new BIOS in my card. Thanks!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:58:40    Post Subject: Re: Reduce Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 Fan Noise Reply with quote View Single Post

nitrouxidous wrote:
Hello. Could you please send me those files? I´d like to try the new BIOS in my card. Thanks!

PM me with where you would like it sent! If you have an email other than the one you registered with, that may be best... These things seem to get blocked on yahoo, hotmail, and services like that...

Jason
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: