Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Q6600 overclock details.
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nCSimmy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:49:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I understand the ASRock 4Core 1333-GLAN is called the ASSRock in the overclocking communitities since it's very s#!7 for overclocking would i be correct in saying that ?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:54:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The 333MHz memory... Is that DDR2? I guess it is 333MHz, or DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300)? Might need to look inside to check that out... See if there is a brand/model indicated, as well as timings and speeds.

If the temperatures are in the 40s while doing nothing, the stock cooler might not be able to handle too much overclocking. But you could always try a little and keep an eye on it.

Not familiar with that motherboard... Have you been in the BIOS to see if it has the basic overclocking features?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:17:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My guess is your system isn't a good candidate for over clocking. Normally to get even mild results, and still maintain a stable system, you need to build your system with some OCing in mind. That means the CPU (which you got), an after market cooler (which you don't have), high quality RAM capable of being OC'd (questionable here), a motherboard with at least some OCing ability (something ASRock's aren't known for), and a case with enough cooling to keep the CPU cool (unknown right now what you have).

To get a little more details on your system you can use this: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php which will give you a lot more information. Also make sure you download and run the Cache Latency Computation tool for more on your RAM.
nCSimmy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:24:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ive already got CPUID so should i look in the memor y section.. ?

yeah my memory is DDR2. Smile, ive downloaded that latency tool so i'll post the results when it's done..

My friend has said to me to get a Gigabyte motherboard as there easy to overclock but ivel ooked at this one http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=505230

any feedback ?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:41:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That ASUS (as with most others) would be great. Gigabyte has some very good ones too, and the thread starter (acruxksa) has had good luck OCing his Q6600 with a Gigabyte board.

Post some screenshots from CPUID to let us see your details!
nCSimmy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:08:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well ive got a warranty on this machine for 12months so if i play around that will void the warranty so not sure what to do Sad
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:25:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Be happy with what you got? Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

pro7one
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:11:11    Post Subject: Re: Q6600 overclock details. Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Decided to post this in a separate thread to avoid straying too far off topic in the F@H thread. My Q6600 overclock info is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (v1.0)
Processor: Q6600 Intel quad core.
HSF: Zalman cnps9700

Ram: 2x1Gb of Patriot LowLatency DDR2-667 and 2x1Gb of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800 memory timings are 5-5-5-14 (had to relax them this far because the two different types of modules wouldn't run very well together otherwise) Plan to look into 2-2Gb modules in the near future.

Disabled the usuals in Bios (C1E,EIST,USB Legacy Storage)
Set FSB to 333Mhz, Multiplier to 9, Memory mulitplier to 2.5 (runs memory at 830Mhz). MCH to +.1, FSB to +.05, PCI-E to +.05, Cpu to 1.3625v and vDimm to +.35 (gives me 2.15v). I basically raised all voltages slightly because I'm betting that a quad core cpu and 4 sticks of ram are really sucking the juice.

This allows a very stable and cool overclock to 3.0Ghz on my new quad. I suspect my memory is not really running at 2.15v, but somewhere around 2.1v because with 4 sticks it is probably seeing a pretty good drop in voltage. Also, my cpu is set to 1.3625v in the bios but is realy only getting slightly over 1.3v because of the common vdroop problem. This processor runs loaded in the 48c-52c range, so I'm pretty happy and don't intend to try pushing it any farther for awhile.

acruxksa, Thank You for your information, it seem like it will be very helpful when I OC my PC, I was wondering if you could give me some more details, Below are my specs.

Intel Q6600 ( w/ a ThermalTake Blue Orb CPU Fan)
EVGA nForce 680i LT SLi
G-Skill PC8500 (4gb's @ 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15)
ThermalTake 850 watt PSU
1 GeForce 8800 Ultra

All in "Stock" form from Mfg.

Will your specs above work for this setup ?
Thank You
pro7one

MSI GeForce 8800 Ultra
ThermalTake 850w PSU
ThemalTake Bach V Case
1 WD 500gb SATA HDD (Internal)
2 WD 750gb SATA HDD (External)
ASUS DVD-RW (SATA)
ASUS DVD-ROM (SATA)
~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:00:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That board - and the faster memory - should give you some decent overclocking potential. You can never say for sure how things will go, so you just have to try... Take small steps.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:25:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Pro7one,
I pm'd you some suggestions for a starting point, as I mentioned, your board is an nVidia chipset board which I'm not as familiar with, but it should be enough information to get you started. The evga 680i is a very popular board and there is a ton of information available for it.

The cpuz file you pm'd me shows that your q6600 is a b3 stepping and has a VID of 1.325 if i remember correctly. I think your initial desire to attempt 2.8ghz has a very high probability of success, but as mentioned above, when it comes to overclocking there are no guarantees. Moving this into the forum area is a great idea because there are likely plenty of people reading this that have the same motherboard you are using and can give you more specific information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: