represents a brand of computer components covering a broad range of products; from memory and MP3 players, to cases and coolers. What they may be best known for though is their modular power supplies. Ultra Products was a pioneer in this design, and their units seemed to lead the surge in popularity they experienced when they hit the computing scene.
We've done quite a few reviews of Ultra Products brand items over the years, but 2009 has been particularly quiet. Looking around the Internet reveals that they haven't been promoting much at all, at least not until now. Ultra Products is back with a new line of modular power supplies, dubbed the X4 series. If you dig through the archives of power supply reviews at Bigbruin.com you'll find a handful of units tagged with X, X2, and X3, so this new series obviously follows the old naming structure.
The X4 series of modular power supplies includes models with power ratings of 400W, 500W, 600W, 750W, 850W, 1050W, 1200W, and sometime soon there will even be a 1600W unit. In this review we will be taking a look at the 80 Plus Bronze certified 850W unit which carries a suggested retail price of $249.99.
Before taking a closer look at the sample provided for review, let's look at some general information on the X4 series, and the 850W unit in particular.
» Modular Design
- Patented technology helps reduce clutter by using only the cables needed. This not only increases airflow within the case, but it gives the inside of the computer a clean and professional look that is easier to manage and service.
» 80 Plus Certified
- The X4 line received the coveted 80 Plus Bronze certification meeting a stringent energy efficiency performance specification. This optimization ensures that that less energy is wasted by the computer and heat and noise generated by the PSU are minimized.
» Power Protection
- Short circuit protection, in-rush current protection, and thermal overload cutoff protection -all work in conjunction to protect systems from under voltage, surges and brown outs.
» Simple Installation
- All X4 PSUs include thumb screws, zip ties and Velcro straps to make the build process as streamlined as possible.
» Lifetime Warranty
- Register online or by sending in the included warranty card and receive a lifetime warranty.
» Reduced Acoustics
- Featuring a large 135mm dual bearing cooling fan, Ultra's X4 power supplies offer reduced acoustics, increased airflow and longer life. Further, Ultra includes a silicone chassis bracket which significantly reduces vibration noises typically caused between the chassis and the fan.
» AC Input: 115~230V, 50HZ~60Hz
» DC Output:
» +3.3V: 24A
» +5V: 30A
» +12V: 60A
» -12V: 0.5A
» +5VSB: 3A
» +12V Max. Wattage: 720W
» +3.3V + 5V Max. Combined Wattage: 170W
» -12V + 5VSB Max. Combined Wattage: 21W
» Total Power: 850W
» Type: ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91
» PFC: Active
» Fan: 135mm Intake Fan
» Efficiency: 85%, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
What we see is that the main rails are all rather beefy, with 60A on the single +12V rail providing up to 720W of power.