Features and Specifications (continued):
» Operation System
- Windows Vista/XP(32/64bit)/MCE2005
» Dolby® Digital Live
- Dolby Digital Live encodes any audio signal on PC in real-time to Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 surround sounds to your home theater environment through one single S/PDIF connection
» Dolby® Headphone
- Dolby Headphone technology allows users to listen to music, watch movies, or play games with the dramatic 5.1-channel surround or realistic 3D spacious effects through any set of stereo headphones.
» Dolby® Virtual Speaker
- Dolby Virtual Speaker technology simulates a highly realistic 5.1-speaker surround sound listening environment from as few as two speakers.
» Dolby® Pro-Logic IIx
- Dolby Pro-Logic II is the well-known technology to process any native stereo or 5.1-channel audio into a 6.1- or 7.1- channel output, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield.
» DTS® Connect Technologies
- DTS® Connect contains DTS Interactive Encoder and DTS Neo:PC technologies. DTS Interactive encodes any sound on PC to “DTS 5.1 Surround” high bitrate digital stream to your home theater through S/PDIF connection. DTS Neo:PC can convert stereo audio into 5.1 or 7.1-channel high-fidelity surround sounds.
» DirectSound3D Game EXtensions 1.0 (DS3D GX)
- DS3D GX 1.0 supports EAX gaming sound effects and DirectSound 3D hardware enhanced functions on Windows Vista. (DirectX/DirectSound 3D compatible)
» Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC)
- Provides advanced Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) for best voice conferencing quality in VOIP applications or online gaming
» Smart Volume NormalizerTM
- Normalizes the volume of all audio sources into a constant level and also enhances your 3D sound listening range and advantages in gaming
» Magic VoiceTM
- Modifies and disguises the sound tone of your voice for VOIP and online chat applications
» Karaoke Functions
- Music Key-Shifting and Microphone Echo effects
- Professional Bass Management/Enhancement system for small or large speakers
» Xear 3D™
Virtual Speaker Shifter - Virtual 7.1 speaker positioning and shifting to adjust the optimum soundfield for your speaker placement
» Other Effects
- 10-band Equalier/27 Environment Effects
» 3D Gaming Sound Engines/APIs
» Vista: DirectSound3D® GX 1.0, EAX®2.0&1.0, DirectSound® HW, DirectSound SW, A3D®1.0, OpenAL generic modes, 128 3D sounds processing capability
» XP: EAX®2.0&1.0, DirectSound® HW, DirectSound SW, A3D®1.0, OpenAL generic modes, 128 3D sounds processing capability
Bundled Software Utility:
» Portable Music Processor utility
- Converts digital music content or CD audio into regular MP3/WMA files with Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker (w/ Pro-Logic II), and Smart Volume Normalization processing (Windows Media Player 10 or above is required)
» Professional Audio Creation and Editing Utility
- Ableton Live 6 Lite; Cakewalk Production Plus Pack (SONAR LE, Dimension LE, and Project5 LE)
» PowerDVD 7.0
- 7.1-ch DVD player with Dolby Digital decoder
» MCE Software Kit
- Software kit with 10-ft GUI for Windows Media Center Edition
» RightMark Audio Analyzer 6.0.5
- Easy but powerful software intended for testing the quality of audio equipments
There really is quite a bit to take in from everything that was listed. To highlight a few there are the various audio certifications (Dolby and DTS), full EAX and DirectX sound support in Windows Vista, a signal-to-noise ratio of 118 dB for audio in and out (to all 7.1 channels), full duplex HD audio with a sampling rate up to 24bit/192KHz, and the ability to 'legally' backup DRM files with ALT (Analog Loopback Transformation).
We'll take a look at the key features of this card and its bundle of accessories, but it is already clear to me that an exhaustive analysis of everything included with the ASUS
Xonar D2X might be far too ambitious of an undertaking!